Bergen Design Festival 2017
– 10 days of design beyond inspiration
22 September – 1 October 2017
Bergen Design Festival is an annual gathering which celebrates the great workings of design and showcasing creatives from the region across fields and diciplines. During the week of the festival a range of events are taking place all across Bergen – morning design talks, exhibitions, workshops, seminars and other cultural events.
One of the hightlights of the week is the Conference, in 2017 taking place on Tuesday 26 September. Featuring internationally renowned speakers from the design world, the conference celebrates – and increases people’s awareness of – the many qualities of design; as useful, innovative, beautiful and a driver of change towards a more inclusive and sustainable society.
It is a well-known fact that experimentation and involving users as early as possible is vital for success – so why are so many companies afraid of doing it? This year, Bergen Design Festival explores the theme Dare to experiment and invites prominent speakers from across the design field to share their knowledge and experience.
Welcome to Bergen Design Festival 2017!
During Bergen Design Festival 2017 you will meet:
- Roope Mokka, co-founder of the Finnish design think-tank Demos Helsinki
- Cesar Harada, French-Japanese inventor, environmentalist, and founder of MakerBay, a maker space for social and environmental impact
- Dr. Yanki Lee, social designer and activist, founder of the HKDI DESIS Lab for social design research
- Anne Beate Hovind, project manager and strategic adviser at Halogen, known in part for turning a plot in downtown Oslo into urban farmland
- André Moen, founder 2nd Chance, recruiting agency providing a new chance for people who have been left out by society
- Monica Santini, CEO of the acclaimed Italian cycling wear brand, Santini SMS
- Olav Kjellevold Olsen, professor from the Department of Psychosocial Science, University of Bergen, researching the relationship between moral and leadership
More to be announced!
Previous conference speakers include:
- Stefan Sagmeister (Sagmeister & Walsh)
- Dr. Patricia Moore (“The Mother of Empathy”)
- Richard Seymour (Seymourpowell)
- Michael Pawlyn (Exploration)
- Boyan Slat (The Ocean Cleanup)
- Gunnhild Stordalen (EAT Foundation)
- Ravi Naidoo (Interactive Africa)
- John Thackara
- Aja Guldhammer (Airbnb)
- Tomorrow Machine
- Lorna Ross (Mayo Clinic)
- Jessica Z. Kessin (Capital One)
- Uffe Elbæk
- Björn Myreze (Myreze)
- Andreas Engesvik
- 22 September: Official opening
- 22 – 30 September: Bergen Design Mornings – daily morning talks
- 26 September: Bergen Design Conference
- 29 September: Party time!
Bergen Design Festival
- Norway’s only design festival hosted annually since 2010
- Showcasing the best of regional and Norwegian design
- Bergen Design Conference with international speakers
- Design mornings taking place throughout the festival
- Open Design Studios throughout the city
- Pop-up shop featuring local design
- Great, regional food
- In the center of Bergen, Norway
Bergen Design Festival works to promote Norwegian designers in Norway and abroad. The festival is a meeting place for established and aspiring designers, a venue that recognises the work of designers and encourages the appreciation of Norwegian design at home and internationally.